Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September Update

We've had an exciting summer. Since our last blog post, our cat, Titus, got sick and jumped behind our washer and dryer, disconnecting the drain hose, which we only discovered when a load of wash flooded our apartment. Titus is okay now- thanks to some very expensive vet visits. And our apartment has mostly dried out, as dry as anything gets in Texas humidity, anyway. Then our lovely Chrysler got a screw in its tire and the "check engine" light is now on, but we have no way of fixing it now- so much for the great deal! Then yesterday at work I got my hand stuck in my desk and had to cry for help to get out.

I was so stupid! I share my desk with an out-sourced temp, so I lock some of my personal things up in a drawer at night when I leave, before the other lady takes over the desk, and then I hide the keys in a basket that I keep in a corner, under the hutch-type top of the desk. Well I threw the keys in the basket last night, but they missed and fell down a hole in the desk that I hadn't noticed before, mainly because the basket hid it. I thought I could just reach down and grab them back out, and so I stuck in my hand after them, but then couldn't pull it back out again. I was kneeling on the top of my desk with my hand down this hole, screaming for help, imagining a hack saw having to cut off my hand, before someone heard me and came to disassemble and break my desk to get me out. All I have to show for it now is a broken drawer anyone can get into anytime they want, a nasty scratched up hand, bruises and a bruised ego!

I think I'll be working at the opera for a while longer. I've been applying for substitute teaching jobs and haven't heard back from any districts, even despite my attempts to contact them. Ross is in the same boat, as he also applied to substitute, but he is also now maybe percolating the idea of doing self-employed type, contract work for computer repairs and such. Who knows where that could take us!

Lastly, today I am on my way to my first visit to a plastic surgeon. It feels so weird! I'm going to see if anything can be done about the scars left from my car accident- they're really pretty bad, and they make me feel really self conscious. I was riding the bus, standing room only of course so I was standing, and as I felt all eyes on my mangled arm, I realized I now have very recognizable features and can no longer hide in anonymity. So much for robbing a bank in short sleeves! :)

1 comment:

Jane said...

Wow. Such a lot of drama in your life. Hopefully the doctor will be able to help you out. It sounds weird to say platic surgeon but they do a lot more than boob jobs. I saw one for my trigger finger - not cosmetic at all - and it had a lot less "doctor's" office about it than others I have been in.