Thursday, October 18, 2007

Back to Mexico!

Last night, I received an invitation to go back to Sinaloa, Mexico- the state where Mazatlan is located. The conductor of the state symphony there (the Sinaloa Symphony Orchestra of the Arts) heard me sing the Queen of the Night and liked me well enough to ask me to be the soprano soloist in their performance of the Schubert Mass in G Major and Beethoven's Chorale Fantasie and Holst's Christmas Day! They're going to pay for my airfare, my hotel for a week, about $30 a day for expenses, plus $1,000 to do 2 performances! I'm so excited to have my first real paying gig, and one I didn't even have to audition for!

I'll be in Culiacan, the capital city of Sinaloa, Dec. 2-7, and we'll perform Dec 6 & 7. Now I just have to go buy the music and learn it in a month. I also want to learn as much Spanish as I can. I totally faked my way through this summer, but this time I want to speak it better- I want to keep up the good impression!
The best part was when I spoke with the conductor in person over the phone and he told me I should send a CD to every agent in New York City because he thinks I'm ready! That made me feel so fabulous, especially after some of the crazy and discouraging coachings I've had lately.

A very well respected, well renowned vocal coach from Houston came for a few days to work with singers at UT. He charged $75 an hour, and everyone said it was well worth it. I spent my hour with him, and the whole time he worked on my speaking voice because he said I talk funny, and that it must be hindering my singing. Finally, when my hour was up and I went to leave, he asked me if there was neurological damage or a disconnect between my face and my nervous system. I had NO idea what he was trying to get at, so I left, discouraged, disappointed, and upset.

But now I can ignore him and all the other Vampires in the world and feel much better, because I'm being paid to sing!

3 comments:

Jane said...

New teacher! New teacher! That guy is so not cool. Congratulations on the gig in Mexico - that's awesome!
You are awesome!

matheson clan said...

Ya, I won't be studying with him again. But thanks! It's good hearing from you btw!

Callie. said...

why would someone ask something like that?! And what did he mean by it? How very rude; I can't believe someone would say something like that.
But I guess it doesn't matter what he thought anyway! You'll do great in Mexico--congrats! I hope you and Ross are both doing well.