Monday, June 30, 2008

Holy Cow

Dang- I can't believe it's already July! And what's even more amazing, is I'm told someone is actually still checking our blog! That's wonderful faithfulness, considering the last post was written in January!

Here's a brief synopsis of our past 6 months:

Ross liked Texas State University well enough, but has decided to take a year off to raise funds to finish, or decide what else he'd like to do with life. Financial aid being what it is, isn't quite what it should be. He also found out he's diabetic. It has been a tough transition we are still adjusting to- we're trying to make changes slowly. Ross was the Elders' Quorum president for our church (the men's group) during the past year, which calling he enjoyed at times but which completely stressed him out during the rest of the time. He's job hunting as we speak, and is hoping to find something that won't break his back!

I sang in the chorus for the professional opera company in Austin for their production of Carmen this spring, and got to take private lessons with one of the main artists, Barbara Divis. I felt like I gained a whole year's worth in 2 hours. I also gained a lot of insight talking to her and the other principle singers, and am now in a program to get a teaching certificate so I can teach elementary music. I love opera, don't know what my future will bring, but I learned that most singers spend a minimum of 9-10 months of the year on the road. They also mostly pay for their own health insurance, air travel and accommodations. I don't know if I'm up for that kind of punishment. Teachers, on the other hand, often get decent health plans, major holidays off, and almost 2 months of freedom in the summer. And they get paid so much better than the opera company is willing to pay me! :)

But the most important piece of news in this long-winded post is that Ross and I moved back to Austin 3 weeks ago. Our new address is 10101 West Parmer Lane #1118, Austin, TX, 78717. New number is (512) 377-9191. We'd love visitors!

3 comments:

Jane said...

That's probably me...I'm kind of obssessive that way. But see it paid off this not giving up hope. Then I can be first to comment! :)
You sound busy! Good luck with everything.

Callie. said...

hey I still check in on you guys every now and again also. It's nice to see what you have been up to! I hope things continue to go well for you both. Juliann, you would make an excellent elementary music teacher! You would be great. Craig and I are just packing up and getting ready for our move to Oregon. We're excited. Anyways, I hope you guys continue to do well!

Laura said...

It's good to see that you are back in the "blogging" world. Dustin and I hope you and Ross are doing well. We miss you tons! Keep us posted on any new happenings! Always in our prayers!