Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Eventful Weekend

I went to Ft. Worth for a three-day training session to be certified to teach Music Together classes- Mommy and Me type music classes for infants-3 yr olds and their parents/caregivers. I am completely in love with the program and would highly recommend it to any family that can afford it, and I personally had a blast while I was in the training classes.

I only got to 2 of the 3 days, though. The evening after the second day of training, Saturday night, I was headed back to my hotel when I got in a pretty nasty car wreck. I heard a screech to my left and turned to look just in time to be smashed by a full-sized pick up truck that had veered across the wide median and into me. I looked up expecting to watch someone else's wreck and instead was face to face with the headlights of the pickup, which were about 6 inches from my face. Apparently, a small sports car had run a red light, hit the truck, which then lost control and stopped on me. I didn't think it was such a bad wreck until I went to see the car. You can't tell from the pictures, but the driver's side door was crushed to about halfway across the driver's seat- MY seat!! I was very blessed to walk away with some glass in my arm, a chipped tooth, and major bruises up and down my left side. I was taken to the ER to remove the glass, but had to wait until 3:30 am to be released.

There were several witnesses who stopped and helped. One sped after the sports car which had fled to scene to get a license plate number, and one other in particular was amazing! Mr. Moksha stayed with me at the scene, and then came to stay with me at the ER until Ross could arrive. Ross took off from Austin as soon as he heard where I was being taken, so Mr. Moksha was with me a good 2-3 hours. I am so grateful for his kindness and the generosity he showed to a stranger! What a blessing he was for me!

Ross and I then stayed in Ft. Worth until his mom could arrive from Louisiana to help us deal with my car and get everything in it back to Austin. She has been another blessing, and we're so grateful she is here helping! We're all back in Austin now, and I am in a lot of pain. Today I'm pretty doped up on pain meds, so if this is confusing, forgive me! But here are some pics of the car. Ross took some of my arm and leg too, but those didn't turn out. Probably better that they didn't- my arm looks like it was ground in a meat grinder and my leg is almost entirely black.


This last one's hard to tell because of the angle, but the door is hitting the steering wheel and is about a foot inside the cavity of the car.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress. The car is still in Ft. Worth at the impound lot- we turned it over to our insurance to sort out. I go in tomorrow for a follow-up with a doctor here in town, and am praying car insurance- either mine or the other drivers'- will pay for some of the bills.

4 comments:

Jane said...

OMG! That's terrible and amazing and I'm glad I learn of these things after everyone is okay! We will say a prayer for you tonight.

Laura said...

I still can't believe you had to experience another car accident! Please take care of yourself! We love and miss you tons!

jessicabradshaw said...

wow! i know this is a bit late, but i just found ur blog. i am glad you are ok.

Wildcards said...

Wow! After seeing the pics I'm glad this was something you could walk away from. I heard about this late through Mahal and Zarv, but I wanted to say that our thoughts and prayers are with both of you.


Twinka and Shar.