This is a post for my friends whom I have ignored and neglected and who don't know what's happening in the Matheson Clan.
We have been living through a medical mystery. On May 28, Ross had his last real meal. This was the day his stomach decided to stop working- the medical diagnosis is Gastroparesis. It was such a strange thing- one day he was eating a Chipotle burrito, and then his stomach never digested it. We've done a lot of web research, and Ross's case seems extremely severe. He has excruciating nausea and distress every hour he is awake, and often it even wakes him up in the middle of the night. He has been on a completely liquid diet since May, only able to drink 3 Ensure shakes a day, a little water or ginger ale, and maybe a spoonful of Nutella to lick if he's having a good day. He has lost around 45 pounds, and is still losing about a pound a day. He was first taking a drug called Reglan which was supposed to trigger stomach movement, but had so many problems, we resorted to buying a drug called Domperidone from New Zealand because it has fewer side effects. It hasn't enabled him to eat anything, but we're hoping it's doing something to lessen the nausea.
It seems as though every test imaginable has been given to Ross, and the doctors keep coming back with the results showing nothing. We don't know what caused this (at first we were told it was diabetes, then not, then maybe it was his gallbladder, then not), we don't know what will cure the condition, and meanwhile Ross is pretty well disabled- even walking to get our mail is too painful and difficult for him. Ross goes back in to see his gastroenterologist on Monday, and we're really fasting, praying, and hoping for answers soon!
Luckily, though, life has improved some for me, so I am able to help Ross out more at home. After teaching for a year in an exceptionally difficult elementary school, I was hired and started teaching this past week at a different school only a few minutes drive from our apartment. In every single way, it is a miraculous blessing to have this position now! Prayers were definitely answered when I was given this new job. It's a wonderful school- great kids, incredibly supportive community, and a very warm and friendly collegial atmosphere among the teachers! Best of all, it is so much less stressful, that I can really let go of work when I get home - something I could never do when I worked at my previous school- and this is a real bonus in our given circumstances!
So that is life in the Matheson Clan right now. Lots of prayers are being answered to much gratitude, but we're also still praying desperately for the help Ross needs in finding the cause and cure for his condition. And now that I am home more, I will try to be a better blogger to keep all of our friends and family updated. We appreciate your love, your prayers, your support! Thank you for all your kindness and concern! It makes life easier to go through when you don't have to go through it alone!
2 comments:
When did you go private on the blog? Was it a pain to switch? Mom told us the advice she heard from Dr. Told. I hope that will give some answers or relief. You are both in our prayers as always. Good luck to Ross at the Dr. and please let us know what you find out.- Always your sis- Laura
We are praying for you, Ross. I really feel eventually (soon!), they will figure it out & get things working again. In the meantime, would intravenous feeding be possible? You must be so exhausted. That can boost your strength.
Juliann, I'm so happy you got the new job. I hope it will be a lovely, supportive school!
Post a Comment