Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Something Bothering Me

I went to visit my voice teacher at UT last week and she said something that has been really knawing at me ever since. I told her I had been a bum since January and hadn't really done much of anything and that I really enjoyed not doing anything and having a break, and she said, "I think you have a love/hate relationship with singing." This really gets me, because my other teacher at USC kinda said the same thing. She said, "I don't think you love to sing." But I DO love to sing. But if I love it so much, why did I allow myself to take a break from it for a whole month? Why aren't I out in some opera company singing already?

I have yet to be able to answer those questions for myself, but on Monday I will at least answer something- and for an opera company: manning the phones and selling tickets for Austin Lyric Opera. :) Hopefully I'll learn something working behind the scenes, and hopefully I won't stay behind the scenes forever!

4 comments:

Jane said...

Hate is not the opposite of love, indifference is. So as long as you still care - either way - you're just growing and changing and the singing will grow/change too.

Callie. said...

I love school, but am I working on my lessons every spare moment I get? No!! Loving something doesn't require that you spend every waking moment thinking, breathing, and living it. Sometimes it's harder to get ourselves to do those things that we love the most because they require the most time and effort.

JMA said...

I have a love/hate relationship with your singing.

I love your singing.
I hate that I don't get to hear it very often.

Laura said...

Jenny's comment was sweet. Those of us that have heard you sing have no doubt that you love to sing. I have a love/hate relationship with my flute as well. I would love to be a great performer, but I hate putting forth ALL of the effort. I have to gear myself up to practice. You have other goals in life that are just as important as music- that's what keeps our love for what we do going. You are entitled to a break. I took a 5 year break and am amazed at how fast the skills come back!