Friday, July 29, 2011

Jumping the Gun

Thursday morning, Aunt Laura and I walked into Maisie's room to a wonderful surprise- she was in a crib!!!! This is a big step forward! And she was so much more accessible. Mama got to hold her and pick her up and touch and talk to her so much more easily. It was just wonderful!

Isolette or Crib? Obviously we want the crib!!
Swaddled in her crib for the first time!

Our Sweet Maisie

But as the day wore on, Maisie had a hard time keeping her temperature up. As we parted for the evening, she was right at 97.8 degrees, which is on the cool side. Her nurses were going to keep a close eye on her temp through the night.

I am awake in the middle of the night tonight (I wake up every 3 hours to pump for Maisie) and worried about her. I called her nurse to see how she is doing, and sadly she kept getting colder and colder and was moved back to her isolette.

I'm bummed because she's back in a plastic cage- it really feels like a huge barrier sometimes. But I think it's also interesting that even her nurses and doctors are antsy for Maisie to move up and out. They were so excited that she maintains her temps so well in the incubator on "room air" instead of "baby-monitored" temps, that even they thought she'd be fine. But her nurse tonight was saying she's not even 3 lb 10 oz, not even 3 weeks old- it was just a little too early.

Still, here's praying and hoping she can try the crib again soon- it really felt so much better!

PS. Not much posting happened this week as we are dealing on top of all else a broken clothes washer. It needs a new water pump installed, for which we continue to wait. Who knew it would take so long?

2 comments:

Dorcas said...

This is the Colorado Grandma checking in. We're sorry Maisie had to go back into the isolette, but there is bound to be a setback once in a while in Maisie's progress. And, I'm not biased or anything, but oh my goodness, what a beautiful baby Maisie is! I want to hold her again! You are living in Texas why?!

Jane said...

Temperature is a huge thing for babies - even ones who are not in the NICU - so it's irritating you but Maisie's doing SO WELL, she'll be home before you know it.