(SORRY THIS IS A LONG POST- BUT A LOT OF GREAT STUFF HAPPENED TODAY!!!)
It sounds like a bad B movie, but "Nipple Protocol" is where we are today. I arrived in Maisie's room this morning to a wonderful surprise! Maisie's bilirubin lights were already gone and the window blinds were open- lots of light in her room. She was awake and happy and active. I arrived just in time for the doctors' rounds- Maisie had put on more weight and is up to 1490 grams, she is now eating 30 ccs per feeding, they can't hear her heart murmur any more and believe her PDA has closed on its own, her jaundice is gone, she may try swaddling soon instead of relying on the incubator (a step closer to a crib and freedom!!!), and she can now begin Nipple Protocol.
Not the thrilling subtitle to a Bourne or Bond-type adventure as it sounds. Apparently, this just means it's time for her to learn how to eat!!! Best of all, it also means it's time to move her feeding tube so her mouth (which looks like her dad's) is free at last. She's still on the tube- it goes down her nose now- but it seems much more comfortable for her.
Maisie did really well this morning with the tube transfer and the tape removal- she had tape all over her head from all the attempts at keeping her eye protection in place. But as the nurse worked on the tube and I helped with taking the nasty tape off, Maisie didn't even cry once. She grimaced more at the smell of the adhesive remover than anything!
So, this morning I finally got to hold my Maisie as much as I could ever want, and we got to try a bottle feeding. As the nurse and I got her ready, she was opening her mouth wide and looking around. I gave her a pacifier and she went to town sucking on it. I was excited to think she might be ready for this bottle stuff. But as soon as I had her in my arms all ready to try the bottle, she VERY stubbornly clamped her little lips shut and refused to open her mouth- silly girl! I kept laughing at her stubbornness! When I finally got her to open up, she coughed on the little drops that got in her mouth and couldn't figure out how to actually swallow it. She hated it and I could tell!
So next we tried a regular tube feeding with a twist- I got to dip her pacifier in some milk and let her taste it while she got fed and then Kangaroo with her as long as I wanted afterwards. She liked the pacifier MUCH better.
Our next step came during one of her afternoon feedings- I got to let her nuzzle on Mom while she got fed through the tube. She spent a good 20-25 minutes figuring things out with me. The lactation consultant on staff, Amy, was VERY animated throughout (she stuck around to help me and to make sure I didn't suffocate my baby!). She was amazed Maisie caught on so quickly. I think tomorrow we will try some more nuzzling instead of bottles- that was just a bit fast for Maisie, and nuzzling went SOOO much better. And I think the bottle was just too big for her little tiny mouth.
A hard decision was then made tonight. I could have stayed all night holding her- no nurses, no lights obstructing us. But she had worked very hard with all the new experiences- and working too hard can mean she LOSES weight instead of gains it. So Ross dragged me away early, allowing Maisie to get some good rest in tonight. To keep me from going totally crazy from being away from her, we then went to see Harry Potter together- probably the last free date night we'll have in a long while! :)
Lots of progress today- lots of BIG steps- and best of all, LOTS of cuddling together! Today was a VERY good day!
2 comments:
I just got goosebumps from reading that post. A++++ pupil right there! Nice job all around. Did Maisie read my last comment?
As a side note, is there ever a really GOOD B movie?
Haha! I did tell her what you said, but do any stubborn over-achievers ever really listen when they're told no? :)
Post a Comment